Don’t you love your blonde lace wigs anymore that you bought last valentine’s day? Or want to experiment some new hairstyles for the upcoming Halloween festival by transforming your favorite wig? Or running low on a budget to buy a new straight lace wig? Don’t worry! We have a perfect solution for all these wig problems– Dye the wig!
Yes, coloring the wig using ink, spray, or fabric color is the easiest and cheapest way to get the ‘new wig’ without spending a fortune. The process is easy and will not take more than an hour. In addition, all the supplies that you will need for this process are easily available and cost you in peanuts.
There are certain ways to color lace wigs. You can color it by dipping down into the fabric color, spraying the color, or using the brush. But in this article, we have covered the two most used methods–by dipping down and by spraying.
Also, note that the following methods are suitable for all kinds of lace wigs– be it bob style lace front wigs, cheap lace wigs, or braided lace wigs.
Let us first understand how to color the wig by the Dipping Down method.
Things You Will Need:
- Quality Hair Dye
- Disposable Gloves
- Table cloth or paper
- A Spray Bottle
- A Comb
- A cup to mix the dye and water
- A Hairdryer
- Hair Clips
Method 1: By Dipping Down
As the name suggests, in the dipping down method, you dip the lace wigs into the ink solution for a certain amount of time. The technique is easy and does not require many supplies.
Steps to Color Wig By Dipping Down
1. Wash the wig that you aim to color with warm water.
2. Dry the wig using the hairdryer and comb it well.
3. Divide the wig’s hair into small sections/streaks.
4. Add warm water and dye into a cup in the right amount and mix it well.
5. Take a streak of lace wig’s hairs and soak it into the cup.
6. Make sure you dip the streak up to its root to ensure that the dye reaches every corner. In every lace wigs, dying the root is the hardest part.
7. Keep it soaked into the mixture for the defined period.
8. Remove the streak after the suggested period and wipe out the extra color using the paper towel.
9. Pat it dries with a cloth to remove the excess dye.
10. Keep that streak on a side and dye the next streak using the same steps.
11. Once the whole wig gets dyed, wash it 2-3 times in cold water to remove the excess color to make sure it doesn’t get to your clothes later.
12. Note that there is no need to use any detergent for any lace wigs. Just rinse it until the water runs clear.
13. Once washed, hang dry the wig for hours to dry it properly. You can also use a dryer for this purpose.
14. Once dried, brush the wig out.
See! We told you coloring the lace wigs is an easy job and not rocket science.
Now let us learn another method– how to color the wig by spraying.
Method 2: By Spraying
Another method to color the lace wigs is– spraying. Spraying is relatively easier than dipping down.
Steps to Color Wig By Spraying
1. Wash the wig that you aim to color with warm water.
2. Dry the wig with a hairdryer and comb it well.
3. Mix the ink into the alcohol. The amount of alcohol is inversely proportional to how light you want the color to turn out. More alcohol will dilute the ink and give a less-opaque, lighter color, while less alcohol will offer a more vibrant color.
4. Apply the dye on the wig by spraying it.
5. Instead of spraying the whole wig at once, spray a small wig segment while saturating the hair using your fingers. Once done, move to another segment of the lace wig.
6. Ensure you move the hair as you go to ensure it gets coated well and equally. You have to follow the same process for all types of lace wigs.
7. Once the wig is dyed completely, wash it 2-3 times in cold water to remove the excess color to ensure that it doesn’t get to your clothes later.
8. Also, note that there is no need to use any detergent. Just rinse until the water runs clear.
9. Once washed, hang dry the wig for hours to dry it properly. You can also use a dryer for this purpose.
10. Once dried, brush the wig out.
There you go! Your wig is colored and transformed into a completely new avatar!
The spraying method is also as easy as the dipping method. All you have to care about is to use the right amount of ink and follow the mentioned steps.
Things to Remember While Dying The Wig
1. Don’t ever put the whole wig into the dye. Instead, color it bit by bit. You can even use the spray to color the lace wigs.
2. Always prefer hot water while mixing the dye. It will work more effectively than cold water. We would suggest changing the water after dying every streak.
3. It is comparatively difficult to dye dark color wigs such as black wig or brown wig. Therefore it is recommended that you dye only light color wigs or blonde wigs.
4. As the dye is going to drip everywhere, make sure you cover the workspace beforehand using plastic paper or cloth.
5. No matter how well you dip or spray the wig, the roots are always left uncolored. However, you can always use sharpies to color the root.
Many people use markers or ink to dye lace wigs. But these things often come off in a short time and are also not suitable for wigs. Besides, it may also make stains on clothes. Therefore it is recommended that you avoid using these products to color wigs.
We will suggest fabric dye for wig coloring. It is one of the best ways to color lace wigs. The key reason to use fabric color is that synthetic wigs are also made of the same material– synthetic fabric.Also, note that these methods are applicable for all kinds of lace wigs– be it bob style lace front wigs, cheap lace wigs, or braided lace wigs.
Summary: As we see, both the processes of coloring the lace wigs using the ink are very easy and cheap. You can easily find all the supplies from your nearest store. Besides, the whole coloring process will not take more than an hour. All you have to care about is following the process step-by-step without missing out on any steps.