Summary: Learn a reliable way to migrate shared mailbox in Office 365 without any complications. Follow this article to accomplish this task in the most secure way and in the minimum time possible.
Individual mailboxes are different from shared mailboxes. Many user-role capabilities are available to users through shared mailboxes. These mailboxes are important when several members of a team require access to the same information. The contents might be anything from a support email address to a reception desk or any other company-related information. Multiple persons having permission by the admin can access and share this information.
The individuals that establish and manage these shared email accounts are the admins.
What are the grounds on which users migrate their Office 365 shared mailboxes? There might be a variety of reasons why users move their shared mailboxes in Office 365. Some of them may be the result of mergers and acquisitions, rebranding, or regulatory compliance.
What Are The Ways to Migrate Shared Mailbox to Office 365 User Mailbox?
Microsoft itself hasn’t recommended any tool for migration of shared mailbox in Office 365. However, in this article I will discuss three methods:
- A professional tool to migrate a shared mailbox to office 365
- Completing the process of migrating shared mailbox to office 365 manually.
- Converting and then migrating the shared mailboxes to Office 365.
Method 1: A Professional Tool to Move Shared Mailbox to Office 365
You can complete the migration process by using the Office 365 to Office 365 Migration Tool. This tool can migrate shared mailboxes to Office 365 in bulk. You can trust this utility to never lose your data. Use the Delta migration feature to migrate newly arrived data from the source account.
You will also find it helpful: Explore & Learn the Best Practices for Office 365 Backup
Follow the steps to know how to use the tool:
Download and Launch the software on your machine. Then, select Office 365 as both a source and a destination.
Next, select the items that you want to migrate under the Workload selection. The application also includes a date-based filter feature to move only the selected data.
Using the Office 365 Admin ID and Application ID, connect to the source Office 365 tenancy. Then click on the Validate button.
After you’ve verified the permissions, hit the Next button.
Connect to the source Office 365 tenancy using the Office 365 Admin ID and Application ID. Finally, press the Validate option.
Click on the Next option after verifying the permissions in order to move shared mailbox to Office 365.
We must now build a mapping between shared mailboxes in Office 365 and individual user mailboxes. To complete this process, the software offers three options: recover users, import users, and download the template. Choose one of the options and go to the next.
Hit the validate option to check the mapping is correct, click the Validate option.
The permissions are now confirmed.
Finally, click the Start option to migrate Shared mailbox Office 365.
The tool will transfer shared mailboxes in a few minutes.
Method 2: Migrating Shared Mailbox to User Mailbox in Office 365 through a Manual Process
How to Manually Migrate a Shared Mailbox to a User Mailbox in Office 365
● Sign in to your Microsoft Office 365 account as an administrator. Now, go to the Office 365 Admin Center and click on the Exchange option.
● Select Recipients, then Shared. Choose the shared mailbox, then click Convert and then convert to Regular Mailbox.
● A warning notice will then appear, requesting confirmation. To proceed, you must press the Yes button.
● It will just take a few moments to move here. When the operation is finished, a message indicating completion displays. To exit you can hit the Close button.
● Finally, when you log back into Office 365. Thus, this shared mailbox was transformed into a user mailbox.
● First, log in to your Microsoft Office 365 account as an administrator. Then navigate to the Office 365 Admin Center and choose Exchange.
● Now, go to Recipients and then Shared. Select the shared mailbox, then Convert and Transfer to Regular Mailbox.
● The shared mailbox’s data has been moved to the transferred mailbox.
Following the migration, you must issue a license and then reset the password for your mailbox.
Method 3: Shared Mailbox Conversion and Migration
Some companies might have deployed hybrid Microsoft 365 or have performed an on-premises Exchange Server to Exchange Online migration. They may choose to keep the settings of the on-premises infrastructure on the cloud as well.
To keep the content and mailbox properties, organizations may need to execute directory synchronization. Although normal mailboxes may be converted into shared mailboxes later, it is preferable to do so in the existing environment.
This should be done before synchronizing with the new tenant to prevent technical difficulties with write-back characteristics.
This technique, however, requires much more planning and preparation on the part of the end-users.
Problems Faced While Moving A Shared Mailbox in Office 365?
- Users require a license to move shared mailbox data from one Office 365 account to another, when the mailbox data exceeds 50 GB, the mailbox is placed on litigation hold or uses in-place archiving.
- Managing permissions for shared mailboxes becomes challenging during the transfer.
- Delegating across businesses does not always work well, and the correct users must be relocated at the same time to ensure that rights are retained.
As a result, companies are frequently perplexed about whether to build shared mailboxes after moving users or to transfer the material beforehand.
Shared mailboxes are beneficial to a user when all the teammates want to access some common information. However, there are times when users want to move shared mailboxes to Office 365. You can do in many ways.
There are a couple of manual solutions as well as expert solutions. However, the manual approach has certain drawbacks. As a consequence, an expert solution is recommended.