On-premise data management is quite cumbersome as it requires big rooms for servers and maintenance costs. However, Cloud-based platforms are easier to operate. The storage of servers and maintenance cost are completely managed by the cloud service providers.
There are many organizations that are switching over to the
This is why in the article we are going to discuss some of the benefits & techniques to migrate data from on-premises to cloud without leaving a bit of data behind.
Note: For migration from Outlook to cloud(Office 365), click here.
Why migration of Data from On-premise to Cloud?
Organizations are migrating their data from On-premise to Cloud as by doing so the dependency over premises gets dissolved.
The cost of operating On-premises is quite high including server storage, maintenance, training, and management of technical experts which is not a one-time investment.
Cloud based platform allows working from anywhere and at any time. It also helps to expand the business at the global level. There is no need for technical expertise to manage the local servers and their maintenance.
Benefits of Migration to Cloud
- Easy accessibility to data anywhere and anytime
- Low infrastructure cost
- Huge online storage space
- Server maintenance is managed by cloud service providers
- No loss of any data
- Easy sharing of files over web
- Less maintenance cost
- Enables quick disaster recovery
- Improves business operations
- Provides complete security
Challenges faced during manual migration of data from On-premise to cloud:
1. Does not migrate the files of a specific date to cloud storage
2. Hidden files/folders cannot be uploaded
3. No feature of migrating the specific files from the folder
4. Does not transfers the files of a particular size limit
5. No creation of migration report
6. Same procedure to be repeated again for multiple accounts
Direct Method to Migrate Data From On-Premises to Cloud
SysTools Cloud Migration tool is a comprehensive tool that helps to migrate the data from on-premise to cloud without any hassle. There are multiple cloud platforms like G Suite, Office 365, etc., and multiple on-premise platforms like Exchange server, Lotus Notes, etc.
The automated tool ‘SysTools Migrator’ easily migrates the data from Exchange Server or Lotus Notes to G Suite or Office 365.
In the subsequent paragraphs, for migration from on-premise to cloud, we have taken source as ‘Exchange’ and destination as ‘Office 365’. However, the steps remain the same if you want to migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365 or G Suite.
The following are the steps to migrate data from on-premises (Cloud):
Note: For demonstration, here we have taken the example of when on-premises is Exchange and Cloud is Office 365.
1. Install and Launch automated Tool.
2. Click on ‘Activate’ button for activation for demo or full version.
3. In the opened software window, choose source as ‘Exchange’ and destination as ‘Office 365’.
4. Under the workload section, mark check on the categories as email, contact and calendar. Then click on ‘Next’ button.
5. Enter the details in source tab for on-premise ‘Exchange’ such as Exchange Server Version, Admin Email, Admin Password, Active Directory IP and Exchange Server IP. Click on ‘Validate’ to verify the credentials.
6. Enter the details in destination tab for cloud ‘Office 365’ such as Admin Email and Application ID. Click on ‘Validate’ button to verify the details.
7. In the Users tab, choose the option for source and destination account mapping.
8. Once the mapping is done, then click on ‘Validate’ button to verify the user accounts.
9. Click on ‘Start Migration’ to initiate the migration process.
10. Once the migration process is completed then you can download detailed report and summary report.
Why Choose Automated Tool?
- No other direct method is available to migrate data from on-premises to cloud.
- It allows the complete data migration including emails, address book, calendars, documents, attachments, etc. from on-premise to cloud
- It can migrate from cloud to cloud or on-premise to cloud in just few clicks
- It allows migrating the data from multiple user accounts to other accounts in no time
- The status of the migration can be seen in real-time. The tool is adept in monitoring the multiple accounts migration simultaneously
- The tool allows the concurrent migration of the first 40 users mailboxes simultaneously which saves time and effort
- It provides a simple and easy-to-use interface. The user just need to login from admin and in just few simple steps, the migration gets completed
Advantages of Using Automated Tool
- It migrates all the data irrespective of its type
- It maintains data integrity and ensures folder hierarchy
- The date filter is used to migrate the selective data
- Hidden files or folders can be easily migrated
- It generates the complete migration report at the end
In this blog, you have learnt about the need, benefits & best techniques to migrate data from on-premise to cloud. The challenges of the manual method have been highlighted followed by the use of an automated tool to ensure a smooth migration. The distinctive features and advantages of automated tools keep them stand out and preferred by many users.